Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Can you say DENIAL?...

Once, after the store was open for maybe 5 years, after the birth of our twins...I happened to be there working one day and a VERY large, VERY Irate man ran into the store. He glanced wildly around before his eyes settled on the narc and he opened his mouth to speak...but then he caught sight of me from the corner of his eye. He quickly closed his mouth and attempted to compose himself. He looked at the N and said "I NEED to speak to you in PRIVATE, RIGHT NOW". Of course, hating confrontation (and fearing angry men) I was immediately on high alert. 

The N said "Sure, no problem!" flashed a smile at me...and led this man into the back office, grinning all the way and closing the door. I did not know this man and I did not get the impression that the N knew him either.

I could hear the tense conversation and the yelling of the man but I could not hear the N's voice. I could make out little but it was apparent that it had NOTHING to do with a pet or any type of transaction. I heard the words "Your wife" a couple of times. They were back there for about 15 minutes before this man came out, headed straight for the door, gave me a nod (but not a smile) and stormed out just as he had stormed in. A moment later the N emerged from the office with the same grin he had entered with. He, of course, waited until the irate man had left.

Of course, my first question was "What was THAT all about?!"

At FIRST, he tried to blow it off "It was nothing." I was not willing to accept that answer however. So he decided to go for the "truth with a twist" answer.
This is his version.

First a little back info....
There was a very beautiful, blonde 18 year old girl that often hung around the store at that time. I had mentioned to the N that I felt that she might be feeling a little attracted to him and he poo-pooed this making me out to be a jealous harpy. She was often there when I would come in and I TRULY was NOT jealous because I sincerely could not imagine this exceedingly pretty 18 year old young woman REALLY wanting anything to do with a short, dumpy, bald (and at THAT time) 35 year old man. I did feel that there was some attraction..whether it was a Fatherly attraction, a passing fancy, being impressed by someone who seemed knowledgeable ..had a common interest...owned a business...whatever. I could FEEL the chemistry...just could not identify it as I never spent much time with her. 

Still...I could feel SOMETHING in the air but I did not feel all that jealous.

On to the story...

This man who had just stormed in was the Uncle of that pretty young girl. It seems that, at some point recently...the "attraction" between them had become "confused". 

She had told her Uncle that she was standing at one of the animal racks and the N had approached her, pinning her there and becoming very insistent that some PHYSICAL exchange should take place. Now, while she may have, indeed, felt some attraction toward the N (of unknown origin and type) she was also the victim of, at least one, incident of childhood rape by a family friend or family member...someone she had trusted. She had been in therapy for more than 4 years trying to get past her fear of men and her trust issues around that subject. She also stated that she had developed trust with the N and had been very comfortable with him...so when he did this is sent her into a panic...probably a crisis...and she had (once getting out of the store) ended up nearly hospitalized over the incident.

The Uncle was very angry and accused the N of absolutely laying waste to 4 years of therapy and nearly causing a nervous breakdown in this young girl. He was FURIOUS! After he spoke his piece, he left, likely knowing that she was NOT a minor and there was little that could LEGALLY be done to the N.

After relating this part of the story...he added the N twist...

Seems (in his view) this young girl came onto him (which of course he did not tell me because he did not want me to be upset) and he REJECTED her...which sent her into fits of FURY and caused her to make these, absolutely FALSE accusations against poor, innocent him. He, of course, was not ANGRY at this poor girl, despite her lies, because he knew what she had been through and he was VERY benevolent.




As I stood there, my head reeling...my Mr. Spock voice cried "Bullshit!" It was ABSOLUTELY preposterous! How could he think I would be stupid enough to buy that! Which story sounds more likely...hers or his?! I BRIEFLY even voiced some of these thoughts but he remained calm, confident and smiling. 

He advised me that there was no way he could PROVE what he was saying so I would just have to take it or leave it...of course adding that I had no reason or right to think that he would do such a thing...and if my mind was not so warped I would realize that!

I left the store that day, embarrassed and humiliated...knowing FULL WELL that it was very likely that he had done just what that girl had stated that he did.

That is the first day I remember thinking the thought that would become a CONSTANT mantra for me from that day forward...

Is it ENOUGH to break up your marriage over? 

You REALLY are not CERTAIN of what happened. What if you are WRONG!? Look at what you have built. Look at all the GOOD things! (illusions it turns out). 

...and anyway...even if he did...it was probably a mistake (your fault)...he may have been feeling lonely since the twins came along (Your fault)... he may have been unable to resist her beauty and youth (YOUR fault)...maybe you are not displaying enough sexual attraction to him (YOUR FAULT!!!)

So that day, I KNEW he lied and I made a DELIBERATE decision to deny it to myself and to others. I caved...I settled...he won...I WOULD pay the price from that day forward.

No comments:

Post a Comment