Sunday, May 25, 2014

Response to prior blog post

WOW!

I guess I am a little surprised that the post has gotten any attention at all. I am not a genius and have never claimed to be. My Father was extremely intelligent (I would not say his IQ rivaled Sam Vaknin's) and he was also a diagnosed Paranoid Schizophrenic. This has always caused a fascination within me for the human mind. So powerful and yet fragile. One of the most powerful tools used against me was my fear that I may have inherited my Father's mental illness...so that was a button that was leaned on each and every day.

I am not claiming to be an expert. I had not even HEARD the word Narcissist until less than 2 years ago and when I sought out information it was Sam's book that I found and purchased. The reasoning behind the post was my interest and appreciation for the work of Mr.Vaknin and the reaction that this appreciation has triggered in others who have been in a relationship with a Narcissist.

I was attempting to use those arguments that people have made to validate my opinion. There ARE those who feel that it is a con....but I was hoping to show, in the blog, that I was NOT one of them. I do not feel that there is pretense or a belief of Sam that he is providing erroneous information but there are many that do. I was simply trying to address their points of contention. I still feel that the point is....it would NOT MATTER either way.

Information is NEVER a bad thing. Judging whether something has merit simply by virtue of who brings you the information is not rational or very wise. We can learn from everyone. That was the point of the post. If I did not make that point clear, I apologize.

The interesting thing is that some of the comments are now indicating the same about my opinion...that it has no merit by virtue of the fact that I am not famous....not a genius...etc.  I also disagree with that.

I am not disturbed by a dissenting opinion but I am deeply disturbed by censorship...even when it is done in the sincere desire to "protect" someone. That is devaluing others by saying that they cannot determine what they choose to believe.

If I was attempting to create a "high-profile". high traffic blog among people recovering from Narcissistic abuse...I would not have even posted my opinion...because, as you see...my opinion tends to put me outside both camps....and there seems to be few who can see from both directions.

I have found value in Sam's work and I have said so many times.
I WOULD like to clarify and respond to one comment...and that is the one stating "the blogger obviously has never been in a relationship with a Narcissist". That could not be less true. I was in a marriage for 17 years and I truly believe that he meets nearly every criteria that is written, both by Sam and by others. It is simply fascinating to me the depth of manipulation that the actions he has taken required. But make no mistake. I have been there and I have 4 damaged children to show for it...not to mention a damaged family and a damaged MIND/SOUL.

I do thank Sam for being the first one who was able to explain it to me!

No comments:

Post a Comment