Friday, May 23, 2014

I. Psychopath and Sam Vaknin


I have just watched the documentary called “I. Psychopath”, about Sam Vaknin. This man has caused no end of controversy and the use of his name or any info that comes from him has been banned from many groups related to recovering from damage from Narcissism/Psychopathy/Sociopathy. I have read the complaints about him, and his work, and I feel I understand what is being said...but I am unsure I agree with it. Whatever you believe about him....he is providing a service to those that need it. He does not say he provides this service out of good will or to help anyone but freely ADMITS that this is a money making venture. I paid for his book and even if HE may feel he ripped me off in some way...I DO NOT.

After seeing this documentary I AM left with a more thorough knowledge of why people say that we need to just cut and run. The mere quantity of the contradictions and circular theories is enough to have you spinning and leave you feeling confused. This is NOT because it is not interesting or because it makes no sense...it is more that, when you think about it LOGICALLY it DOES make sense and that is why it is SO BAFFLING.

Sam Vaknin is a middle aged man who was diagnosed, over a period of years, by two different Doctors with NPD. He has a DOCUMENTED IQ of 186+/-. He has made, and lost, several FORTUNES and was convicted, and jailed, for securities fraud. He states he is a Narcissistic Psychopath and he now fully believes himself to be this based, logically, on the fact that his life just continued to fall apart and the observations of others.

Now the logical questions:

1.       CAN a Psychopath recognize himself/herself as one?

2.       CAN a true Narcissist recognize himself/herself as one?

3.       How can you believe anything someone tells you, when they have stated THEMSELVES, that they will do ANYTHING to obtain what they want? (Lie, cheat, steal, manipulate, badger, bully, etc.) Kind of like the old Star Trek episode where they shut down an entire AI by stating “I NEVER tell the truth. That’s a lie!” It causes a circular processing in our brains that cannot lead anywhere. If you assume both are fact…it is impossible to compute!

4.       How can a person with Narcissism, given that the diagnostic indicators include lack of self-awareness, lack of empathy and the inability to recognize any defect within themselves…POSSIBLY engage in such a detached self-reflective process?

5.       How can a person be tested for these traits if they have a REASON to want to “fail” the test? His livelihood depends upon his HAVING these disorders.

6.       If he has an IQ of 186…and has done extensive research on these things, how can we assume he cannot logically DETERMINE the answers that need to be selected in order to achieve the results that he desires?

7.       Does the fact that he IS self-reflective actually disqualify the diagnoses (at least the NPD diagnosis)?

To me, this leads to 2 possibilities regarding Mr. Vaknin.

A.      He is a Psychopath or…

B.      He is a brilliant con man pretending to be a Psychopath to make money

If you believe B to be true…then I can understand not liking his work as you might feel like he is making money with a con game.

BUT the fact is that these groups seem to unanimously agree that they believe A. The comments indicate the belief that he is a Narcissistic Psychopath but they do NOT like his theories because they tend to devalue the suffering of the victim and place part of that suffering as the fault of the victim. I can understand why that is unpopular as we have suffered enough and pulling any of that blame back onto ourselves seems unjust and self-defeating. It’s another case of “circular thinking” because, once again, we are being asked to give our abuser a “pass” because he is NOT at fault for having this “condition”. We have been made to do that for FAR TOO LONG ALREADY. So perhaps these groups ban him because he triggers the members or because it causes angst in holding the abusers accountable. If so, then I can see why it is done.

Further comments indicate that his “Narcissism fairly LEAPS out of the screen at you and causes you to feel his slimy repulsion”. I can also see THAT, but the premise is, then, that he IS a Psychopath and not a mere con man. (or perhaps a psychopath AND a con man).

So the thoughts I have after watching this…as far as the questions above…are these:

1.       CAN a Psychopath recognize himself/herself as one?

I think the answer to this one is that they ARE able to recognize themselves as being different than OTHER people. Whether they consider that a PROBLEM is anyone’s guess.

2.       CAN a true Narcissist (NPD) recognize himself/herself as one?

See answer one. They are self-aware enough to know to hide the behavior as it is NOT socially acceptable… Do they think it is WRONG? Probably not.

3.       How can you believe anything someone tells you, when they have stated THEMSELVES, that they will do ANYTHING to obtain what they want?

This is a toughie…but just the fact that he IS so brutally honest…and makes no claim to be altruistic… would make me think that much of what he says has merit. He does not really MIND being what he is and his desire to EXPLOIT it for PROFIT actually SUPPORTS the fact that he has no empathy or remorse. If he was claiming to be “reformed” then I would believe he was lying. He makes no such claim.

4.       How can a person with Narcissism, given that the diagnostic indicators include lack of self-awareness, lack of empathy and the inability to recognize any defect within themselves…POSSIBLY engage in such a detached self-reflective process?

Again…a tough one. We KNOW he was twice diagnosed and we KNOW that he is exploiting this diagnosis to make a living, right? So the possibility may exist that he does not REALLY believe he has these conditions but is merely fooling everyone into THINKING he does in order to exploit. But that, in itself, would not change the fact that he DOES have them. AND if he does not believe he has these disorders…and he is purposely exploiting people to obtain money…that ALSO lends itself to the belief that the diagnoses may be correct! So are his observations valid? Well, even if he does not BELIEVE there is anything wrong with him…and he is reporting merely what he THINKS others want to hear…you have to wonder. How are his theories contrived? From his thought processes. And if he makes statements of the opinion that the victims are party to their own misery…..what ELSE would a psychopath say? If he was able to verbalize any empathy or take responsibility for his damages, THEN we could be sure he is a con man.


5.       How can a person be tested for these traits if they have a REASON to want to “fail” the test? His livelihood depends upon his HAVING these disorders.

I don’t believe they can be. I think Mr. Vaknin knows exactly the answers he should provide in order to be diagnosed WHATEVER it is he WANTS to be diagnosed with. For example…I took two tests for psychopathy as an experiment. These tests are meant to be a diagnostic tool administered to the suspected psychopath. I answered, the first time, as I SAW my special someone behaving. The second time I answered as I felt HE would answer. The results of these tests both indicated the presence of psychopathic behavior. Naturally, the one I answered from MY view point was more severe. The results were nearly 100%. So, I, from the outside looking in, could go into a room and take this test KNOWING what answers to give to get myself diagnosed as a psychopath. Isn’t it likely that the psychopath/narcissist…if self-aware enough to hide these behaviors because they are socially unacceptable…is also going to be clever enough to give the, socially acceptable, answer most of the time? For that reason I put little faith in these tests but think long term observation and speaking to others in the narcs life would be the only way to accurately diagnose them (my opinion).

On the other hand…Mr. Vaknin underwent some MEDICAL scans in this documentary as well. These showed differences in the function of his brain….one showed his inability to activate his own emotions as compared to the ability of his wife…AND his inability to even be able to LEARN how to do it. His reaction to this was typical of the narc to the 100th degree! I do not think that ANYONE is THAT good of an actor! Even though a win to him, in this case, would have been evidence AGAINST him being EXACTLY WHAT HE SAYS HE IS… he ABSOLUTELY could not tolerate the thought that he was BEATEN by his wife at anything or that she had any ability that was superior to his! CLASSIC.

6.       If he has an IQ of 186…and has done extensive research on these things, how can we assume he cannot logically DETERMINE the answers that need to be selected in order to achieve the results that he desires?

See #5 above- I believe he CAN

7.       Does the fact that he IS self-reflective actually disqualify the diagnoses (at least the NPD diagnosis)?

I don’t think he is being self-reflective as much as reflecting the behaviors that OTHER people think are wrong…and just happen to, conveniently, be true.

 
So, my belief in going away from this is that Mr. Vaknin is a Narcissistic psychopath, whether or not he truly BELIEVES that he is. (Does that really matter?) The things that he says that cause issues with his work and cause many people to feel he is invalid are simply attributable to the fact that he IS a Narcissistic psychopath. I would expect nothing else from him…if he did not have GRANDIOSE theories where the blame was not his…I would then be convinced he was NOT a Narcissistic Psychopath. Every inch of footage on that documentary is a video TESTIMONY to the fact that he IS just what he claims to be, whether he truly believes it or not. If those of us who have had to deal with one of these people on a daily basis are triggered by watching the video…that’s even MORE proof in my opinion! I may not believe all his theories and the sheer NUMBER of his writings, videos, publicity are so enormous that I will likely NEVER be exposed to all of it (again….that grandiose behavior that is so typical).


I think that being able to have some insight into their minds is a very valuable thing to me in my recovery. Not so I can EXCUSE the behavior but, once again, to validate to myself that I could not have altered it in ANY way. Lastly, whether Mr. Vaknin believes that he is somehow “fooling” or “exploiting” me in some way…and whether he makes a living in doing so…is of no consequence to me personally. I think his work has value…if not in the recovery process…then in the intellectual processing of something we simply cannot conceive of. Just my opinion… Fascinating!

P.S. I will keep this post on my blog only as my opinions alone might get me removed/banned from some NPD support groups. Now THAT's kind of a humdinger....don't you agree?

19 comments:

  1. His motives does not have to be money for living...As the narcissist, he can provide his narcissistic supply with so many people who "adore" him telling him he is GOD's gift etc....He cut of all other narcissist with constant telling everybody has to run away from them and that way he is putting people in HIS state of mind all the time, to read and listen his videos and writings all the time - He spit on faith in God as he wants to put himself on that throne...
    He constantly says that N. CAN'T change and that we have to run away from them, but if HE is N. why he enjoy poor victims put HIM on pedestal?
    It is dangerous game...not about money but about providing narcissistic supply from half of the (hurt and Ndepend) world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I appreciate your view and I so appreciate you expressing it without anger and lashing I=out. I can see where you are coming from. I do not think that his work is for everyone and I do not even KNOW that I agree with all his theories but I do think it is a good way for us to really "see" into the enemy camp! My view of the fact that we (those of us who care to look at what he offers) are giving him N supply, is that this is TRUE! We are giving him N supply, but only in his own mind...and they are going to TAKE that N supply out of our "collective world" whether we GIVE it or NOT. I gave N supply for YEARS and despite my best "Grey rock" effort I continue to be milked for a supply, albeit a dwindling one! The difference is that I am trading this supply for a knowledge of how to combat the enemy. Its more than I EVER got from all the supply I have given over the past 17 years. It's a personal choice I guess...but your points are well taken! Thanks for taking the time to share them!

      Delete
  2. P.S. I didn't want to offend anyone (not Sam, ofcourse), but HE is telling us to RUN AWAY from them (as u said in this article) - so, we should run away from him too (that is HIS own advice and narcissist does not change, as he says too), because we will be abused this way or another. I just say we should follow HIS OWN advice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Believe me! I am planning to stay clear of Macedonia! I would not trust this man as far as I can throw him but I don't think any ideas are dangerous....the PEOPLE are hideously dangerous though!

      Delete
  3. I appreciate the fact that you took the time to break down and intellectualize such a sensitive topic. Everything you wrote you took care to present both sides. This is true thinking outside the box, not echoing, and this is what good blogging is supposed to do.

    A while ago, I wrote on my facebook page, "My Sociopath," on how I was partially responsible for allowing the sociopath to stay in and destroy my life, over and over again. That was the key: "destroy over and over again." We are a victim if the sociopath does one horrible thing to us and then we flee forever. However, My Sociopath did hundreds of horrible things to me and my surroundings and I kept opening the door back to him so he could re-enter my life to again, crumble the earth around me. Now, this is a problem with me! I even filed for divorce against him the first few months we were together and he talked me into letting the case die off, unprocessed, in the court system. I did just that,,,and stayed 3 more years "trying to save him." If I had gotten out then, in the beginning, when I filed those divorce papers, I would not know what I know now about the ugly world of sociopathy. I would have had 3-years of not living in hell with the devil and I would not be to this day writing about sociopaths. I would have been a spiritually lighter person at this moment in my life instead of being bogged down with visions of pure evil laying in a bed next to me.

    I write very honestly on my blog/facebook page but those that do not agree with every single thing that I say, become attacking. To me, this makes perfect sense: One time we are a victim....over years and years of abuse and after hundreds of destructive and dangerous acts by the sociopath...there was something in ME that made me stay and repeatedly forgive this devil in my life.

    Blogging/Facebooking on topics that go beyond the superficial such as shopping, dieting, what makeup to wear is not for the light-hearted or the dumbed-down. We have to constantly appease to the sensitivities of thousands of readers and if we do not, we are hit with slander or a gang-mentality (via word of mouth) of "unliking." Even on the other end of the spectrum (in a way, a bit "complementary"): We must deal with plagiarism and copying of our works, thoughts, and ideas without credit. Is all this also not a form of abuse? Bloggers/Facebookers are constantly isolated if they write one sentence that other, more "powerful" bloggers/facebookers don't agree with.

    If someone does not agree with one aspect of our thoughts/writings, it does not make sense to me that there can be such a negative out-lash. Now, if we are a writer that is constantly offending people's sensitivities, that is a different story and we wouldn't have built up such a following to begin with.

    Being a blogger/writer and not having a degree of negativity poured upon you is almost impossible. Those people that do this, that can't hear and process both sides of a story or both sides of what entails a destructive personality disorder and trying to survive after it happens to a target/victim, are limited in their healing and growth.

    I have always been able to take Sam Vaknin's words that made sense and grow in my learning/understanding of this horrific personality disorder. To be honest, I didn't even know who this Sam Vaknin was and that he was a self-proclaimed Narcissist Sociopath, for quite some time. I only found out after I was attacked on my facebook page for posting one of his quotes. I never looked into the "man;" I was only taking from his writing what was profound and true in my world of sociopath destruction. This is what true learning and growing is about: It's about managing the good and bad info, what you feel applied to you and what was way off, and not attacking, ganging up on, and isolating the messenger (of course, this does not apply to dangerous people).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Funny you use the word "intellectualize". That word, too, has such a double meaning. As a recovering addict I was FIRST introduced to that word during treatment for addiction. I was told that I had a tendency to "intellectualize" and that this would disturb and hinder my recovery. It took a long time for me to understand that concept. I was also told that I sounded too much like a "victim". That statement REALLY angered me because the context in which it was delivered was one during which I was describing incidents that happened to me as a child and my response was "Well of COURSE I was a VICTIM!! What did I do to DESERVE what was happening to me!". That one took even LONGER for me to understand. After 20+ years of mulling over the concepts of victimization and intellectualization I now have a chance to relate those concepts to one MORE subject. A screwed up 17 year run of playing "Let me TELL you WHY you suck and just HOW MUCH" with what I now feel is one of THE most classic Narcissists of all time! When you read the book....you see my life for the past 17 years.
    Perhaps my "fascination" with Sam Vaknin is that the experience I have had more closely mirrors that which he portrays. My N was NEVER physically violent and seldom screamed or shouted. His was a game of decidedly intellectual, and subtle, mental and emotional terrorism. He used my own MIND against me and that was very brilliant! How could he hurt me more?! If he has given me, at ANY time, ONE SLAP...I would have been GONE! Not because I am some great boundary setter but because he knew, being me, at a certain point....when things crossed a CERTAIN line....I have a tendency to stop listening to my emotion and fall back on my mentality. He was careful NEVER to cross that line because he KNEW I would leave. I might have cried and suffered and my heart may have been broken but I WOULD have left. Its almost like there is a part of me that realizes that we MUDT use our logic because....even when unpleasant...it is a safer course than always trusting what we feel.
    I want to thank you. You can tell from my last line in the blog that I sensed this might cause a little uproar. I appreciate your validation that I truly did try to look at both sides. I understand the victim's (and their advocate's) hatred of this man as he represents what has been our collective "tormentor". He does express views that are more geared to see the psychopath/sociopath/narcissist as being a "natural" predator and unable to choose to be anything different. Similar in the vein to the need to "Forgive" to heal. Boy have I wrestled with THAT one! It is a tough pill to swallow so sometimes we have to break it down into personably manageable chunks and decide if it is worth the swallowing. I guess I have had the MOST hope since I DID come to believe that the person who did this to me is like a machine. A thoroughly destructive, self-centered, all consuming machine that proceeds down a path in live on which he finds it wholly unimportant what happens to the "toys" that exist all around him and are made to serve his needs. Am I angry at him. Yes. Can I see that damage that I had previously incurred left me open to being preyed upon by him...yes. Does that make it my FAULT? NO! But that realization is what will keep me safe going forward (if anything can). Input I have received from Sam Vaknin may be nothing but a pay check and a source of supply in the eyes of Mr. Vaknin...but it is what I choose to do with that knowledge that counts. He is simply a little man on a computer screen and letters on a page to me. He cannot hurt me! If my mind takes what he puts out hurts me with it....then it is not Mr Vaknin. I agree with running away from the N's! We have no choice for our survival! He lives in Macedonia. The way I have to handle things is to understand my enemy....and despite all else....he provides a way for me to do that. Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aaargh. I've just accidentally deleted the comment I posted (was trying to delete one word!). Anyway, my comments was supporting your really excellent article and one that many of us who 'get it' understand totally. It is so irritating when self-important, foggy-headed bloggers/ forum members (esp admins) mindlessly diss S.V. without properly asking themselves why. If they did, they may have been able to reasonably analyse and articulate the points that you make so well and which they miss completely. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the king words. I was almost dreading to look at the new comment as I was sure it would be someone strongly disagreeing! I will have to say that, so far, even those who disagree have done so graciously and I appreciate that. Dissent is not a bad thing as long as it is reasonable and respectful. I am glad that there are those who understand my point!

      Delete
  7. I stay away from those 'support' forums/boards nowadays. Over the years, I've been astonished and disappointed, watching the toxicity grow in them like cancer. Owners and admins who at first seem sane, reasonable people become monstrous and power-crazy, turning into the very thing they are NOT supposed to be. Members begin to fight, triangulate, form cliques etc. Innocent newbies, full of hope, are sometimes crucified by know-it-alls who have learned very little. Ad nauseum. They are a nightmare.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think he is a primary psychopath claiming to be a narcissist because it is better for his public image and the sales of his books. A narcissist can't look at their true self at all. A psychopath can but just doesn't give a sh*t. Of course all psychopaths are narcissists so he's really not lying, just concealing part of the truth. I think he enjoys being a guru and having the following he has.

    I don't think there's anything wrong with him making money off the sale of his books and other products. It's not any different than what non-disordered people do to make money. And many of his videos shed light on these disorders in ways that no one else has been able to do. But why wouldn't they. He knows exactly what he is talking about. It's coming from the source.

    I say be careful but if you like his stuff and find value in it then what's wrong with learning from someone who experiences it first hand. I think it's a smart business move to claim to be a narcissist when in reality you're a primary psychopath.

    His introspection is necessary for the success of his business, so it's in line with primary psychopathy.

    DMW

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES! So true. I did not touch on that but I noticed it. They seemed to be saying that he was more along a psychopath diagnosis than a narcissist. He did NOT like that! The reason I decided not to point that out is the contention that all Psychopaths are narcissists and I figured that would be immediately thrown back....but our mind and our world is simply not that concrete. I am so glad you made that point! I think the words you use....PRIMARY PSYCHOPATH is essential to our understanding that while narcissists have many common characteristics that have a range of others. This would give them various abilities when it comes to self reflection. I believe that given the RIGHT motive...many would "self-reflect" as they saw fit in order to "obtain their objective". EXCELLENT! Thank you!

      Delete
    2. Yay Diane! Another one who 'gets it'! :)

      Delete
  9. It seems that it is impossible to edit once you post and it drives me crazy seeing my errors in print! Oh well! Acceptance is a lesson too! HAHA! Censoring thoughts and speech are a slippery slope in my opinion. It is a way in which we are kept from reasonable discussion about some subjects and this takes away much of our power to grow and form our own opinions (something that those in our situation need so much to LEARN many times), I think that this may start as out as an honest attempt to protect people but it often has the opposite effect in the end. I have gotten some great support on some of the boards and I think that many peoples hearts are the right place. Being the internet, you are correct in that we must be careful that we are NOT engaging with the people who got us here in the first place! If I cannot help someone I do not wish to be the cause of any additional harm to them either. Support is great and there are many supportive people. I just feel that the time for mourning, hatred, understanding, resignation and finally acceptance have to be allowed to each, at their own pace...and people should be given all the tools to go through these. Each uses different tools but hiding some of them never seemed to me to be a good idea! Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have not experienced the hatred these groups are putting out there. I'm guessing it must be almost as fanatical as his fan base. Personally, I have gotten some closure and a lot of validation from watching Sam Vaknin's videos and reading his book. I don't care much whether he profits from his knowledge of npd or not. I think that if people are triggered or disagree with what he says then they should stay away from the videos and books. It shouldn't be up to them what other people choose to do in their recovery. They don't get the right to say "well you can only do it this way, because it's the right way and the only way that's acceptable to us." on the other hand I see that some damage could be done if he is seen by victims and the psychological community as an authority or an expert on the subject. Some of his theories invalidate , at the very least, victims of abuse. So it depends how much people start believing or giving to what he says. I take some things with a grain of salt, but some are obsessed with him being right. Yes, that worries me....the idea that sam vaknin could be someone who could define npd, bpd, or maybe co-dependency etc as he sees fit to benefit predators.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have heard others voice that concern and I guess it is possible but I do not think it is likely. The one thing that I believe is that people who are Narcissistic (at least the ones I have been around and/or heard about) are completely consumed with what benefits them. That is something Sam says frequently and I truly believe that. If that is the case then it is probably unlikely that one Narcissist would be inclined to manipulate anything to the benefit of another Narcissist or group of Narcissists. When I think of groups of people who band together to protect each other (such as churches, cliques, gangs or even drug runners) the one thing that is always present is that, in some way, looking out for the other members of the group will result in some type of pay off (safety, privacy, friendship, etc). This would not be so in the case of the Narcissist so I have my doubts that there would be any payoff to manipulating things to benefit Narcissists as a whole. They are, by nature, solitary and completely consumed with their own needs. I guess that is why, other than triggering some people who are still fragile...I see no real harm from reading and discussing his work and I do see a great benefit to it as I find it a fascinating and unique perspective which has helped me to identify what was happening to me. I agree about censorship. It is seldom a good idea and often harm is done to those who have the information withheld from them. They cannot, then, benefit from the unique perspective that is available.

      Delete
  11. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I used to follow Sam Vankins teachings. I friend requested him on FB and he accepted only to block me when I asked about sadim being a part of narcissism. No explantion, nothing. Just blocked. a major trigger for me as this was my exes favorite form of punishment. I suffer from PTSD from abuse and to be abused by Sam Vankin a man I was reaching out to for help was just unthinkable. I wonder what is his true deal?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. I know many who have been blocked by Sam V when he did not like a comment or a question they asked. He became very angry regarding this post as mistakenly, took it criticism. I find it funny at those who lie him saw this as critical and those who do not saw it as praise. I meant it as a logical summary, neither pro or con. One of the points is that he IS a person who has SOME type of dysfunction (although people DEFINITELY disagree out what this dysfunction is). When he lashed out at me I was a little stunned, both because he even SAW it and because he was angry about it! After I considered it for a time, I realized that any OTHER reaction would have been a sign that he is not what he agrees that he is. Try not to take it personally but to take it as a matter of course when dealing with the group of people Mr. V affirms he is in! Strength to you!

      Delete